EasyDB is an easy to use, extendible Graphical User Interface (GUI)
to a relational database. Follow this link for the latest version
of the online user's manual .
Users at the STScI have a few options. There is a downloadable
installation for desktop-PC users, as well as an installed version on
odocluster for desktop-unix users.
PC users can also run the unix version via Exceed, but I
strongly recommend against it because it is very slow comparatively,
and the user interface features will not appear correctly.
All users - your SYBASE db account passwords are listed (by server)
in the file:
You must download and install it first:
- Download the latest version of EasyDB.
- Run the Self-Extracting executable you downloaded, and click "Unzip".
- Edit "easydbrc" to insert your own user-id and password.
- Run: double-click "EasyDB.bat". (or right-click it to create a shortcut
somewhere for yourself)
- Edit the "EasyDB.bat" file to change the database you want to use.
This will be made into a prompt dialog in the future.
- The PC version comes with the OPUS SDDL files for now. Users outside
of the STScI can ignore these files or delete them. They are useful
for STScI users who want to work with the OPUS databases. If you have
odosw1 mounted to a drive on your PC, you can delete the "easydb/sddl"
directory and edit "opus_easydb_pc.xml" to set this location.
It is already installed on the science-net, so:
- Create your own password file
(optional - if you skip this you will be prompted each time you run)
- Run EasyDB
Maintained by Chris Sontag.